Thursday, November 16, 2006

I've been thinking quite a bit this week about Mary, Christmas, the incarnation. Christmas Fest is such a joy. For me, the rehearsals are worship services. They are some of the only times lately when the wonder and simplicity and sincerity of my faith--my stubborn, childish clinging to the truth of God's Word--can exist without the distraction and confusion of the religious and intellectual climate here. I'm cherishing them for that.

As I was working this morning, singing one of our Christmas pieces, it struck me what a marvelous affirmation of God's sovereignty and human responsibility are these beautiful lines...

If you can see the future,
In truth, God speaks through you,
And I must do whatever He wills
To make it all come true.

We're also singing Ferg's setting of the Magnificat. It is stunning. It, like Bach's 4th Schubler Chorale (also a Magnificat setting) is a humble, happy, pent-up, childlike dance; a revelling in submission to and wonder at God's choice.

Christmas Fest is a wonderful thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger SomeOne said...

Well, that stinks. I just updated my browser and now your posts are on top of your poem.

17/12/06 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment