Wednesday, September 05, 2007

First day of classes was such fun. It's good to be back here. However, un-airconditioned buildings and hot, muggy weather and carrying an over-stuffed backpack all day will make you sleepy.

Class 1: Ear training: It was fun to be with my fellow geeks again, doing the geekiest stuff this world has to offer.

Chapel: Not a bad message, and good to be back in Boe, and a good dedicatory hymn for the year.

Class 2: Woodwinds: We started learning how to play/teach/use/score the flute today and I have a really nice flute loaned to me for the next six weeks! The class is great and I will learn not just how to write for it and play it (as I will with most instruments in the next 3 semesters) but how to teach it to kids. My teacher is way cool.

Class 3: Music History: Wow. This is going to be fun.

Class 4: Instrumentation: The subject--amazing. The professor--never ceases to creep me out and annoy me. The material we covered today--Beethoven (his 6th symphony, to be precise) which never ceases to put me into ecstasies. (Who needs drugs?)

Cantorei: Ferg is amazing and I realized this afternoon what the black hole of the summer was caused by: the void of choral singing. Life is good again. We worked on Ferg's arrangement of Be Thou My Vision today.

Co-curric fair: I hosted a table at the outdoor picnic to represent the L'Abri lectures. Good times with good buddies and met some neat people.

After the co-curric fair: The band was practicing in Boe with all the doors open. The sun was setting. They were preparing music for the stately convocation ceremony tomorrow which I will miss for being on a plane. It was glorious. It was one of those intoxicatingly wonderful St. Olaf evenings.

I love this place and I love this season of my life. God is good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you so much!

7/9/07 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow wee! To be back at college... I'm not so sure my days at OU in Norman was as magnificent!
Blessings,Denna:)

PS... miss your smiles!

8/9/07 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment