Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fall break ends whenever I finally fall asleep tonight. At the rate I'm going that could be soon. Here is a Mark Twain quote that sums up how I feel about this amazing weekend.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." -Mark Twain

The only bad thing about this break is that it was so short. Things I haven't yet done that I need to:

write two article reviews (presumably after I read the articles)
actually put the clarinet in my mouth instaed of just thinking about it
80% of my music history
80% of my instrumentation
typeset and print my two listening responses for clarinet
write my second short piece for clarinet
complete my brass scoring project
devise a topic proposal for my music history research project
finish the Boe tunnel decorations I'm doing for Oles for Life
make a big poster for next week's L'Abri lecture
finish updating my website
study for theory/ear training for the first time this semester

The good thing about these few days, no matter how much there is unfinished, is that I did what I feel is the first genuine studying I've done all semester and now I think I can settle down into real studying when I don't have classes. This is the first time I feel like I'm here, on campus, enrolled in college, and perfectly conscious, as opposed to here, on campus, trying to catch up from my trip to Denver, maddeningly unconscious.

I actually have made headway in my practice, to my delight and surprise. I may pull these performances off OK after all. My finger's still not right and I'm more and more convinced is some arthritis sort of problem, but I'm just playing through it.

A little part of me dies every time I think about the next 10 days. Besides two off-campus appointments, I have something every single night (rehearsal, recital, concert, social function. I have those two performances. I have a ton of stuff coming due. And at the end of all this I have another music history listening quiz to look forward to. (A listening quiz is basically identical to the section of the test I scored about 50% on, so you can see why I'd be excited about that.) Then when the madness dies down I have exactly two days to prepare for the instrumentation midterm.

If I can be diligent and steady and focused through these next horrid two weeks and come out further ahead than I go in (and if the sun will come out and the rain will go away so I can stop feeling so sleepy and whiny) then the rest of this semester will be a blast. Christmas Fest rehearsals start at the end of these two weeks! And then it's all one big rehearsal for a month. Then performances, finals, and a short but sweet two week vacation.

So here goes something... You may not hear from me for two weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment