If there was a cartoon drawn of my right now the hair would be sticking up on all ends... the sort of effect achieved by inserting your finger into an electrical socket.
Bible study tonight, though, was on God providing and trusting Him, from Matt 6, Gen 22, and Ex 16. It was cool.
And then Dave-O (David Olson), as we call him, the pastor from the Baptist church in town who ministers to this campus, brought a couple people over from Bible study and half a dozen of Aileen's friends gathered around her to pray for her. The fellowship of the saints is awesome enough to make me forget all the pressure and all the fatigue and exhaustion, and yeah, the pain that's back.
Mostly the stress isn't my own, academically speaking. I'm handling academics (even Cs) really well, spiritually and emotionally. But this whole campus is pretty tweaked out right now and it's getting on my nerves. This is the period during a semester when I and my friend Maddy both go stir-crazy and long for the day we can get off campus. Faculty and students alike are all pretty stressed. Many of my friends are failing music history. One friend went to the ER today with an absessed tonsil, fearing it'd rupture. My roommate is finally getting a grip and writing to professors asking for extensions. Her parents are coming to get her early for Thankgiving break. I'm so glad she's decided to do this. She is not well. I'm hoping 8 days at home will allow her to heal well.
I'm getting a little impatient with the religious and moral liberalism on campus--according to schedule, just like every semester. I'm accompanying the Early Music Singers in a Schutz oratorio and I swear half of them are homosexual, and pretty in-your-face about it. That ensemble, I think, attracts them. So does this school. And then there was chapel two days ago, where the Psalm being read was 109, an imprecatory prayer. Instead of "The Word of the Lord; Thanks Be To God," at the end, the "pastor" (Jennifer) said, "I'm not sure whether to say at this point 'The Word of the Lord,' or 'The word of the Psalmist.' (I didn't say: "That, my friend, is why you shouldn't be a pastor.")
The Boe Tunnel display has ruffled a lot of feathers and I've heard a lot of hypocrisy, inconsistency, and juvenility in responses to it. And some of the abortion stats we put up have been removed. (Things like "More deaths have occured because of abortions in the US since 1973 than in the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWI, WWII, the Cold War, the Vietnam War, and the Gulf War combined.")
Anyway. This is where God has called me to live and I could fill books with what He's teaching me about being in and not of the world and about loving and being compassionate and quietly, meekly following Him in the face of the madness of the "Raging Sea."
I played chapel today and it went really well. Check on the St. Olaf website for an archive video of the event if you want to hear me play Brahms G-Minor Prelude at the end of the service.
And now I must go to sleep because tomorrow is going to be a scary marathon.
4 weeks from Monday I am done. 4 weeks from today I'm done with the hard stuff.
Bible study tonight, though, was on God providing and trusting Him, from Matt 6, Gen 22, and Ex 16. It was cool.
And then Dave-O (David Olson), as we call him, the pastor from the Baptist church in town who ministers to this campus, brought a couple people over from Bible study and half a dozen of Aileen's friends gathered around her to pray for her. The fellowship of the saints is awesome enough to make me forget all the pressure and all the fatigue and exhaustion, and yeah, the pain that's back.
Mostly the stress isn't my own, academically speaking. I'm handling academics (even Cs) really well, spiritually and emotionally. But this whole campus is pretty tweaked out right now and it's getting on my nerves. This is the period during a semester when I and my friend Maddy both go stir-crazy and long for the day we can get off campus. Faculty and students alike are all pretty stressed. Many of my friends are failing music history. One friend went to the ER today with an absessed tonsil, fearing it'd rupture. My roommate is finally getting a grip and writing to professors asking for extensions. Her parents are coming to get her early for Thankgiving break. I'm so glad she's decided to do this. She is not well. I'm hoping 8 days at home will allow her to heal well.
I'm getting a little impatient with the religious and moral liberalism on campus--according to schedule, just like every semester. I'm accompanying the Early Music Singers in a Schutz oratorio and I swear half of them are homosexual, and pretty in-your-face about it. That ensemble, I think, attracts them. So does this school. And then there was chapel two days ago, where the Psalm being read was 109, an imprecatory prayer. Instead of "The Word of the Lord; Thanks Be To God," at the end, the "pastor" (Jennifer) said, "I'm not sure whether to say at this point 'The Word of the Lord,' or 'The word of the Psalmist.' (I didn't say: "That, my friend, is why you shouldn't be a pastor.")
The Boe Tunnel display has ruffled a lot of feathers and I've heard a lot of hypocrisy, inconsistency, and juvenility in responses to it. And some of the abortion stats we put up have been removed. (Things like "More deaths have occured because of abortions in the US since 1973 than in the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWI, WWII, the Cold War, the Vietnam War, and the Gulf War combined.")
Anyway. This is where God has called me to live and I could fill books with what He's teaching me about being in and not of the world and about loving and being compassionate and quietly, meekly following Him in the face of the madness of the "Raging Sea."
I played chapel today and it went really well. Check on the St. Olaf website for an archive video of the event if you want to hear me play Brahms G-Minor Prelude at the end of the service.
And now I must go to sleep because tomorrow is going to be a scary marathon.
4 weeks from Monday I am done. 4 weeks from today I'm done with the hard stuff.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment