Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Today is our history test that counts for 20% of our semester grade. I studied for about three hours last night with two friends. I didn't want to study at all; knew I was going to pass the test; was very tired; just didn't want to put anything into it. But then, as we'd arranged, my friend John (and his roommate) came over at 8:00 to study with me and I really got into it. We studied hard and I think that I will probably do pretty well on this test now. My friend John is flunking the class--not because he's a jerk but because it's so hard and he has never been good at academics. He wants to pass because if he doesn't he will probably have to drop out of St. Olaf and go home. So now he's changed his attitude to one of determination. Our past two study sessions have gone so well and he is beginning to get excited about passing. "Guess what I did on Saturday night? I STUDIED! With Susan Beamer! (They call me that here, don't ask why.) Music history! And she really knows her stuff! And I'm going to pass this test!" We're going to start studying together twice a week in hopes that neither of us will have to cram for our final in five weeks. The cool thing is that I'm starting to feel better about investing time into this. The reason? Because it's for someone else. I see how much it's helping John and it makes it worth my while to study.

I am musing over an essay I will write on Christmas break if not before about music as service, not primarily self-expression or self-promotion, and the way that philosophy is so well lived out by the program here. This fits right in.

If you think of it pray today not just for me to do well on the test--I'll pass it for sure. Pray for John to pass it. That would make my day. And his year, probably.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
Proverbs 11:25

7/11/07 1:04 PM  
Blogger Compleat Mom said...

r's right, daughtie. Your service is not only a blessing to John and to you, but also to me.

7/11/07 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment